The Companion is a paraprofessional, providing visitation, support and companionship in the home for clients under the direct supervision of a qualified supervisor.
- High School graduate or equivalent
- Use of an automobile with possession of liability insurance is desirable
- Selected on the basis of such factors as: an interest in people, tact, a history of emotional stability, dependability in employment, neatness in appearance and practices, good personal hygiene, and good judgment
- Must have a criminal background check and current CPR certification
- Never have shown by credible evidence, to have abused, neglected, sexually assaulted, exploited or deprived any person or to have subjected any person to serious injury as a result of intentional or grossly negligent misconduct
- Have not made any material false statements concerning qualifications requirements either to the Department or the provider
- Require the ability to read, write & follow instructions
- Completion of training or pass a competency assessment, as appropriate, for understanding needs of populations served, basic meal prep, provision of transportation services, housekeeping, home safety, handling emergencies in the home & infection control
- Meal preparation and serving
- Provide assistance with reading and writing correspondence
- Observation and feedback to the coordinator/nursing supervisor on client’s behavior, mood, and adjustment in the home
- Notifies superior of any safety issues identified in the home
- Being supportive and encouragement during periods of loneliness, depressions, bereavement etc.
- Companions will also report on the needs of the client, on changes in the client’s condition and on any observed problems that affect the client
- Transportation & escort services per the service plan
- Records observations and tasks and signs each entry on the appropriate form for each visit made
- Communicates on a weekly basis or more often as necessary with the nursing supervisor
- Immediately reports emergency situations by phone to qualified supervisor/provider office
- Keeps an accurate time and mileage report
- Follows assignments and regulations
- Follows specific supervisor direction for each client
- Works within the organizational channel of authority and knows the area of responsibility of all other team members
- Wears appropriate clothing and ID badge when at work
Confirming on a weekly basis, the scheduling of visits with the Supervisor/Director, to coordinate necessary visits with other personnel.
Notifying the Provider of absences due to illness, emergency leave, normal vacation periods, or special professional meetings, which will affect agreed service with the Provider.